Friday, July 12, 2013

Hail to Whatever You Found in the Sunlight That Surrounds You

My name is Lonny. My mom said that she named me after Lon Chaney Jr., the Man with a Thousand Faces. We used to watch his movies together -- she bought one of those big cheap DVD collections that had a bunch of horror movies in it and we would sit on the couch and watch The Wolfman and The Mummy and Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

I hadn't seen her that much before she died. I had moved away for college and then I found a job in a different city and I just never got around to returning. I called her sometimes and she called me sometimes and we would talk, but it's not the same as actually being there.

The last time I saw her was Christmas. I stayed at home for a day and we had a nice time, though I think something was bothering her. She was distracted by something. I don't know what it was, but I'm sorry I never asked her about it. I never asked her if she was okay.

And then she died. The police called me at work. I don't usually answer my cell phone when I'm working, but this time I did for some reason. Maybe I just knew it was something bad.

It was a police officer. They told me that my mother had been in some sort of accident. I still don't know much about it. I don't know how she died. They never told me and I never asked.

Why didn't I ask? Why didn't I want to know?

Sometimes I remember those times we watched The Wolf Man and I remember that rhyme Lon Chaney is told about:

Even a man who is pure in heart
and says his prayers by night
may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms
and the autumn moon is bright.

See you later,
Lonny

No comments:

Post a Comment